The International Furniture Fair Singapore 2016 / 33rd ASEAN Furniture Show (IFFS/AFS) opened today at the Singapore EXPO.
Over 423 participating companies from 29 countries will welcome trade professionals of furniture, interior design, and furnishing industries from all over the world.
In line with this edition’s theme of ‘Celebrate Inspiration’, IFFS 2016 presents several feature areas to elevate design and encourage inspiration. These include:
▪ The Piazza Hall (Hall 4), which serves as a focal point for IFFS, is where major events and design-related elements are mostly situated. It is also the ‘heart’ of the show, where visitors naturally gravitate towards. The Frontiers, Design STARS Showcase, and International Designers Showcase are located here. Major activities such as the Opening Ceremony and Seminars also take place in The Piazza Hall.
▪ Tree of Influence is a visual narrative created by Mi5chief Makers with support from Paper Carpenter. Enhanced by visual projection techniques, the installation illustrates the journey that raw materials take, before becoming a ‘product’. Located in The Piazza Hall, this material metamorphosis focuses on wood, stone, water, and textiles.
▪ Pyramid of Notion is a collaborative installation located near the entrance in Hall 1. Developed by curators NextOfKin Creatives and Paper Carpenter, this installation features a selection of new and unique pieces of furniture and accessories placed in a pyramid structure. It gives visitors a glimpse of the exciting, well-crafted designs presented by the international pool of exhibitors at IFFS.
▪ Gamification is an interactive ‘play area’ located between Halls 2 and 3. Consisting of a shuffleboard table, ping-pong table, and a foosball table, this area is set up in collaboration with District Eight Design (Vietnam). It is designed to allow visitors to let their hair down, and also to highlight the multi-functional nature of modern furniture.
▪ The Outdoor Boulevard is a dedicated area for exhibitors with garden/outdoor offerings. Located between Halls 4 and 5, the area showcases how design consultants make use of vertical gardening and greenery to make an indoor space look like the outdoors. Also, visitors can experience the outdoors in an indoor setting at the Garden Café, which houses a collection of specially curated products from nine participating exhibitors.
▪ Furniture Design Award Showcase is a display of entries submitted by the 11 finalists of Furniture Design Award (FDA) 2016. The Grand Winner, Katarzyna Kempa, was selected by the FDA Jury Panel of industry experts on 9 March, and received her award at the IFFS Opening Ceremony. The winning entry ‘Sit’ consists of a body-minded wooden stool and work table that is designed to create an active working environment. Apart from bagging the coveted award, Katarzyna also brings home an attractive cash prize of S$20,000, generously sponsored by American Hardwood Export Council (AHEC). In addition, she also gets a complimentary exhibition booth in IFFS 2017, allowing her to showcase her body of work and network with industry professionals yet again in the following year.
The IFFS is co-located with The Décor Show and furniPRO Asia, and will run from March 10 to 13.
Image: IFFS Pte Ltd