China has released a new design code for timber structure, which encourages industry to expand the use of wood and improve the grading system of wood strength.
The new standard, coded GB50005-2017, will come into effect on August 1 this year, according to the Ministry of Housing and Urban and Rural construction.
The new version highlights some compulsory new standards as well as mentions the grading system of wood strength and its design specifications. It also aims to improve the design criteria for glue-laminated timber and light wooden structures.
Some of the key points are as follows:
- To increase wood use
- To conduct research and confirm the design value of imported wood products
- Make additional design requirements on structure composite materials and engineered wood products
- To carry out comprehensive research and unify the calculation requirement of wood structure components and connectors
- Improve the design criteria for glue-laminated and light wooden structure
- Improve the regulation on seismic design and structure requirement
- Coordinate and improve requirements on fire protection design and structure requirements
- Improve requirements on durability design and structure requirements
Extracted from Canada Wood